Thursday 15 May 2014

Made it to Heathrow this time!!

Hi all!! following my trip from Los Angeles to the bottom of South America in 2011-2012 (see previous blog www.granfuga.blogspot.com) myself & John Shill will be embarking on a tour of Canada and The USA starting on the 17th May 2014 for 6 months.

I should of seen most of this trip last time but stupidly due to a badly loaded bike the trip to Heathrow to ship the bikes ended with a high-side on the M3 and a 10 week delay while my collar bone healed, as you can see I managed the short 15 mile trip without incident this time with our bikes now in safe hands at Air Canada cargo for the trip to Calgary.





It's also 2 years to the day that my close friend Dave Walker who was on the South America trip suddenly passed away so I would like to dedicate this journey to his memory, we will also enjoy a toast to Dave in Calgary when we meet 6 fellow travelers from the good ship 'Stahlratte' (http://www.stahlratte.de/index_neu_en.html) who live there next Monday, we still miss him!!.

Apologies for the name of this blog but after 6 months of thinking this is the best we could come up with, hopefully you will remember it and visit the site on a regular basis, we would also love to hear from you.

John retired from British Airways in April & has been working on his bike virtually every day since, he even decided to re-spray his panniers this week and tells me that working on aircraft was always last minute (I thought they were organised!), a replacement V5C also only arrived today as he couldn't find the original.

As I'd done the previous trip my bike was pretty well prepared apart from an ignition problem that took a few days to sort out, I also thought I had reduced the amount of stuff I was taking but my bike was 4kg heavier that John's at 258kg.

7 comments:

  1. Well done for getting there on time.
    258 Kg. is a lot, you must have too many gadgets.
    Daves bike was 249 and mine was 252 and we had all the camping gear.
    Maybe you will send some of it Home later.

    Wish I was coming with you!

    take care
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck boys. Hope you have hours of fabulous riding. Love Julie and Carol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. See you in six months!! Don't call me if you lose your cards!! Gone on holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy biking, looking forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys. Looks like a good trip eh? Just seen the blog and had a trip down memory lane with Lake Louise and the Icefields.

    Safe riding and enjoy yourselves. Carole and Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reviewing the trip guys although sorry to hear it ended in a bit of a bump! John, hope you enjoying your retirement, missing you here!!

    ReplyDelete